Cowichan Intercultural Society is proud to present The Inclusion Project:
When people come together to create positive change, adversity is transformed. And this phenomenon is happening right here in the Cowichan Valley!
In December 2017 a group of Cowichan Secondary students made headlines after a videoed fight went viral. This incident served as a flash point within our community, surfacing racial tensions and biases, as well as highlighting the seriousness of youth to youth violence.
In the aftermath of this event, leaders from all levels of the community responded in clear and decisive ways. The below excerpt from a joint statement released on December 7th conveys this well, “Together we are developing a plan…that will help our schools and our community on our journey towards providing every citizen with more tolerant, safe, and inclusive places to live, work, learn, and play in”.
The Inclusion Project (TIP) is Cowichan Intercultural Society’s contribution to this effort. In collaboration with SD79 staff, Quamichan School (QS), and many community partners, TIP will provide a participatory welcome for the 2018/19 QS students and staff. TIP is utilizing the Inclusive Leadership Protocol, a community development framework that promotes cultures of belonging, where people are valued for their unique community enriching identities.
And, TIP is inviting community to get involved! By working together, we can TIP the scales towards a more inclusive society! Everyone can play a part: partake in the inclusion building workshops/activities, and/or host an activity station, and, share with us you ideas! What might you contribute to the TIP table?
The Inclusion Project has been generously funded by Coast Capital Savings
Saturday July 14th, 2018
Where: Island Savings Centre
Time: 10:00 – 10:30 am (if you have decorations to put together) .
The parade starts at 11:00 am
Judge: 10:30 am (for the most beautiful clothes or decoration- We won 2 years ago)
Time for our annual Duncan Parade on Downtown Duncan Day! This year, the parade theme is “Be Colourful.”
We are looking for volunteers, participants from our communities, and representatives of cultural groups.
If you are interested, please contact Francoise at 250-748-3112 or email@example.com
Are you interested in learning a new language? Would you like to travel and know a bit of the language before you go? Or would you just like to impress your friends? The Cowichan Intercultural Society (CIS) is offering Spanish classes.
CIS has everything you need to start learning, and we can provide what you need through personalized service. Our multi-lingual staff has worked with people from all backgrounds, and our expertise carries over into the classroom. Cultural diversity is here, right at your door!
Spanish Language Classes for Beginners.
Format: 6 classes for adults
Date: WEDNESDAYS | May 9 – June 13
Time: 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm
Location: Cowichan Intercultural Society, 321 St. Julian Street, Duncan
Fee: $100 for 6 sessions
Enroll Today: 250-748-3112 or contact Francoise at firstname.lastname@example.org
Employment Posting: Early Childhood Educator (ECE)
Cowichan Intercultural Society’s Childminding Program, offering childminding for eligible newcomer children, ensures that parents can access our other programs & services, secure in the knowledge that their children are on-site, safe & engaged.
This position involves supporting the activities of the childminding centre, including work with parents, other staff and direct care of the children. We will be pursuing licensing to provide full childcare. At that point, this role and the weekly hours will expand.
The candidate must have, or be currently working towards, their Early Childhood Educator certificate.
The ideal candidate will also have:
- Valid CPR & First Aid Certificate;
- A proven understanding of intercultural and inclusive community;
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communications;
- Demonstrated success in relationship building;
- Outstanding organizational skills;
- Computer literacy;
- Ability to share our vision and mission, and engage others in support of Cowichan Intercultural Society.
This position will start as a part-time role, with hours ranging between 10-15 hours per week, based on required times for childminding. The pay range starts at $17.50 – $19.00 per hour and is a staff position.
NB: This position requires the ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions, and sufficient mobility to engage in floor-based play.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Interested candidates should provide resume and cover letter in PDF format to: Carolina Martino, Development Coordinator, at email@example.com.
Job Description – Early Childhood Educator (ECE)
ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Childminding/Childcare Program – Estimated time 90%
- Assist with intake for childcare program
- Arrange/acquire class space and materials, as required
- Work closely with other staff to ensure continuity of care for families
- Advise families of cancellations (ex. snow closures), in accordance with CIS policies
- Manage conflict or situations of a sensitive nature, in consultation with relevant staff/executive director as required
- Plan and implement activities to meet the physical, emotional, intellectual and social needs of the children in the program
- Develop culturally appropriate programming and activities
- Develop activities that enhance and encourage English language acquisition
- Ensure equipment and facility are well maintained and safe at all times
- Promote and represent the childcare program and Cowichan Intercultural Society in the community
- Ensure provincial & federal legislation and/or funder requirements are consistently met
Reporting and Privacy Management- Estimated time 5%
- Ensure appropriate data is entered into database
- Maintain highest standards of privacy and confidentiality (in accordance with PIPA and FOIPA)
- Complete appropriate reports and evaluations, as required
Other Responsibilities- Estimated time 5%
- Participate in staff meetings as appropriate
- Attend Settlement or LINC Team meetings as necessary
- Other duties as required