Employment Posting: Early Childhood Educator (ECE)
Cowichan Intercultural Society’s Childminding Program, offering childminding for eligible newcomer children, ensures that parents can access our other programs & services, secure in the knowledge that their children are on-site, safe & engaged.
This position involves supporting the activities of the childminding centre, including work with parents, other staff and direct care of the children. We will be pursuing licensing to provide full childcare. At that point, this role and the weekly hours will expand.
The candidate must have, or be currently working towards, their Early Childhood Educator certificate.
The ideal candidate will also have:
- Valid CPR & First Aid Certificate;
- A proven understanding of intercultural and inclusive community;
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communications;
- Demonstrated success in relationship building;
- Outstanding organizational skills;
- Computer literacy;
- Ability to share our vision and mission, and engage others in support of Cowichan Intercultural Society.
This position will start as a part-time role, with hours ranging between 10-15 hours per week, based on required times for childminding. The pay range starts at $17.50 – $19.00 per hour and is a staff position.
NB: This position requires the ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions, and sufficient mobility to engage in floor-based play.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Interested candidates should provide resume and cover letter in PDF format to: Carolina Martino, Development Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Description – Early Childhood Educator (ECE)
ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Childminding/Childcare Program – Estimated time 90%
- Assist with intake for childcare program
- Arrange/acquire class space and materials, as required
- Work closely with other staff to ensure continuity of care for families
- Advise families of cancellations (ex. snow closures), in accordance with CIS policies
- Manage conflict or situations of a sensitive nature, in consultation with relevant staff/executive director as required
- Plan and implement activities to meet the physical, emotional, intellectual and social needs of the children in the program
- Develop culturally appropriate programming and activities
- Develop activities that enhance and encourage English language acquisition
- Ensure equipment and facility are well maintained and safe at all times
- Promote and represent the childcare program and Cowichan Intercultural Society in the community
- Ensure provincial & federal legislation and/or funder requirements are consistently met
Reporting and Privacy Management- Estimated time 5%
- Ensure appropriate data is entered into database
- Maintain highest standards of privacy and confidentiality (in accordance with PIPA and FOIPA)
- Complete appropriate reports and evaluations, as required
Other Responsibilities- Estimated time 5%
- Participate in staff meetings as appropriate
- Attend Settlement or LINC Team meetings as necessary
- Other duties as required