Cowichan Intercultural Society provides services and support to newcomers to Canada settling in the Cowichan Valley, and activities to create a more welcoming and inclusive community.
The Assistant website & mobile app developer will assist in the refreshing of the Cowichan Intercultural Society website and mobile app. The student will assist in the development of a few key areas of the app including implementing a feature allowing clients to book appointments, exploring the role of the app in fund raising campaigns, and syncing the CIS calendar with the app.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Identify key areas of webpage in need of updates (new technology/applications to incorporate into webpage, ensuring entire the webpage is mobile friendly, updating donation page/platform)
- Create and brainstorm ideas for site layout and appearance
- Building, improving, and managing multiple web properties using WordPress
- Troubleshoot issues, implement fixes
- Design, develop, and test mobile based applications on Android and/or Apple iOS platform
- Identify areas where products/applications/systems can be improved
- Develop HTML based e-newsletters for online marketing
- Develop training / troubleshooting / reference materials that support product offering
- Work closely with other departments to ensure any new / existing web applications meet the organisation requirements
- Assess the website for bugs and errors
- Other duties as assigned
The ideal candidate will have
- Experience with or knowledge of implementation of social API’s like Facebook, Twitter, etc
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical thinking/innovation, communication, interpersonal, and facilitation skills.
- Ability to collaborate in a team environment, while being able to work autonomously with minimal supervision
- Ability to effectively, demonstrate patience and understanding of user’s expectations of immediate problem resolution
- Current enrollment in a recognized University or College in Computer Science or related studies
- Superior computer skills (MS Excel, PowerPoint, Word, research abilities, etc.)
This position is funded by Service Canada for a 9 weeks part-time position, working 32 hours weekly. The opportunity is for young people aged 18 to 30 who are full-time students intending to return to their studies and must be enrolled in post-secondary education for the next school year to meet the eligibility.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 4 pm Wednesday May 31, 2017. Interested candidates please provide resume and cover letter in PDF format to: Caro Martino, Director of Operations, at email@example.com.